Friday, April 13, 2007

Too Busy to Stop and Hear the Music

Today I read about an interesting experiment which took place in January - a world-class violinist played for hours in a subway station and almost no one stopped to listen. I learned about the story in Seth's blog.
We are always short of time, always in a hurry... Had you been there, would you have done the same thing? I'm afraid I would.
Seth says most of us probably would and it bothers us. »If your worldview is that music in the subway isn't worth your time, you're not going to notice when the music is better than usual (or when a famous violinist is playing). It doesn't match the story you tell yourself, so you ignore it. We're so overwhelmed by the din of our lives that we've created a worldview that requires us to ignore the outside world, most of the time, even when we suffer because of it.«
Let's not forget to take a deep breath every now and then and simply enjoy the moment. Have a warm, sunny weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so easy to say, but so hard to do. As I've gotten older, I definitely don't 'stop to smell the roses' like I did when I was young. What happened? People make plans and then nothing else matters. The problem seems to be that the plan is all about time and money. Nothing else...Tim